We are a collection of staff and students at Warwick University who believe strongly in the ideas of free education at the point of use, we are here to promote those ideas and to support all those around the world fighting for social and economic justice.
We have occupied:
• To express our solidarity with those all around the world who are also in occupation especially those facing violent repression from the state.
• To supply a space where we can promote the ideals and ideas of free education, not just for ourselves but for everyone who wants it.
• To express our solidarity with public sector workers on strike on November 30th.
We call on the Vice-Chancellor Nigel Thrift…
1. To publicly condemn the White Paper and call for it to be withdrawn, condemn the increasing marketisation of education, and back the Alternative White Paper.
2. To guarantee no course closures.
3. To guarantee no job cuts and no adverse changes to academic and non-academic staff terms and conditions.
4. To provide bursaries for all international, home and EU students who need them – not fee waivers.
5. To guarantee no cuts to library, student support or learning resources.
6. To guarantee no cuts to access schemes or foundation courses.
7. To guarantee that the university will remain public, and a not-for-profit body.
8. To guarantee that no student or member of staff suffer repercussions for their participation in this peaceful movement, and to condemn the University of Birmingham administration for violating its students’ rights to express their views.
We will update our objectives as they evolve through open and democratic discussion.
We have decided that we will hold General meetings at 1pm (with group lunch) and 5pm each day.
Where we are: